What school leaving certificate is required?

Every person has the right to education and further training. Particularly in the sector of music and media, skill, creativity and team spirit are more important than having a specific school leaving qualification. Therefore, the only things we expect is commitment and a willingness to learn.

Do I need any prior knowledge?

Most of the training courses do not require any specific prior knowledge. They merely require self-reliance, commitment and dedication from the very first moment. Exceptions to this are those courses which contain single courses on communication, where it is a requirement to be a competent user of the English language in both speaking and writing.

What prior knowledge will make it easier for me to get started?

It helps to have sound knowledge of the English language as well as basic computer skills. For the composition courses it is recommended to be able to play an instrument or to be willing to learn it at the same time (preferably piano/keyboard). In the area of design it helps to have basic drawing skills.

How old do I have to be in order to take part?

Subject to parents' consent, it is possible to participate from the age of 16 (only in Germany). You can find out the requirement for Austria from our site in Vienna.

Which areas or training courses can I choose from?

There are six departments: "Music & Sound", "Marketing & Management", "Acting, Voice & Communication", "Games, Film & Photography", "Design, Fashion & Make-Up" and "Fitness & Sports". You will find an overview of all of the training courses and individual courses under the menu item 'training'.

Is it also possible to attend individual course modules?

Yes, that is precisely what this concept is about: be it full training or further training, part time, compact or full time attendance, technology, creativity or business – the type of training can be individually tailored due to its modular structure.

Is it possible to put together my own training course?

Yes, the modular structure makes it possible to exchange individual courses and add other courses, for instance in order to increase one's individual know-how or to adapt the training programme better to one's individual professional requirements. However, a Deutsche POP diploma is only awarded for pre-determined training courses, since their design is closely linked to occupational profiles which are in demand within the sector.

What do part time and full time training mean?

Part time means that one course is taken per semester while full time means that two courses are taken in parallel per semester.

What is the maximum number of courses I can take during a semester?

Up to three single courses can be taken per semester as an intensive education programme. Please be aware that you will not be able to take multiple single courses in parallel if they cover content which builds on the content of a previous course.

How many hours per week should I expect?

There are four teaching hours for new material per week. In addition to this, there are projects and homework, practice time, seminars, as well as preparation and follow-up of the classes. All in all, one should expect about 20 hours of work per week for part time attendance and between 30 and 35 hours a week for full time. Of these hours, about half will be contact hours at the campus and the other half is devoted to independent study.

Who teaches at the United POP?

All lecturers are active and experienced professionals from the music and media industry (e.g. successful music producers, designers, radio moderators, event managers, musicians) who wish to pass on their knowledge to talented young people.

What is the ratio between theory and practice?

Purely theoretical education is limited to topics in which theoretical knowledge is essential for working in practice. In many cases the content of the course is directly implemented in practice.

How does the grading system work?

A grade is expressed as a percentage, based on the professional requirements during a specific task. The threshold for a performance to be considered decent is 70%. Anything above 80% is considered a good performance and anything above 90% is considered to be a very good performance. Per course, three pieces of homework are assessed as well as one presentation, a midterm exam, a final written exam and a piece of project work.

Why are there several assessments?

They provide feedback on your performance. If you underperform in one exam it will not have too much of a detrimental effect on the final result. However, continuous excellence can also lead to an outstanding result.

What final grade do I need to achieve in order to obtain a certificate?

Upon completion of a course module, each participant receives a certificate which shows all of the individual grades. Everyone who has achieved at least 70% will also receive a certificate of successful completion. Anyone who has achieved more than 95% will obtain a certificate 'with distinction'.

What is the difference between a certificate and a Deutsche POP diploma?

Certificates are awarded for each successfully completed single course. The Deutsche POP diploma on the other hand is only awarded if all single courses of a given course have been successfully completed. Anyone having completed all courses 'with distinction' will also obtain a Deutsche POP diploma 'with distinction'.

Is the Deutsche POP diploma state-recognised?

The Deutsche POP diploma is not a state-accredited university degree. This is why the title 'Dipl.' may subsequently not be included in the participant's signature. The point of the Deutsche POP diploma is to prove at a glance that all individual courses of a given training course were successfully completed. Due to our cooperation with the University of West London, it is possible to complete the course with an international Bachelor degree in several departments.

Is Deutsche POP state-recognised?

No, Deutsche POP is a private academy. This makes it possible to react to market demands in a flexible and non-bureaucratic manner, for instance by regularly updating the teaching curricula. In many media jobs there are no official occupational apprenticeships. In order to get a foot in the door, motivation, practical experience and references are therefore more important than holding a specific degree. The academy is recognised in politics and business and has an excellent reputation.

When can I begin my training?

Every quarter of a given year, so in January, April, July or October.

Whom is the offer of the United POP suitable for?

The Akademie is suitable for anyone who is enthusiastic about music and media and wants to learn a profession in the field of media or for anyone already working in the sector and seeking to obtain an additional qualification.

Why was United POP founded?

United POP was founded in response to a lack of practice-relevant training options and qualified young people in the area of music and media. Since then, the aim has been to train talented people in a market-relevant manner.

Which company backs the United POP?

The music and media company music support group GmbH.

Can I get a personalised consultation appointment?

Yes, we would in fact recommend this in order for applicants to be able to select a combination that is right for them among all the training options.

By when do I need to register?

By registering at least six weeks prior to the start of a course you can ensure your space for the next starting date.

What happens if there are no more spaces on a given course?

We try to consider all applications. However, if someone should not get a space they can be put on the list for the following starting date (three months later).

How does registration work?

Registration forms can be obtained from all sites or simply via post or email. Once the form has been completed and signed, it can be handed in on site or sent back to us – and that concludes the registration. All applicants will of course obtain a version of the document signed by us.

Do I have to undergo an entry exam or placement test?

No. Only those people wishing to enrol in more advanced courses need to prove that they are eligible via an entry exam.

How are the teaching rooms equipped?

Our cutting-edge equipment makes it possible to put the theory straight into practice in class (and not merely during practice time).

Can I switch between departments? What costs does this entail?

Yes, it is possible to switch already booked courses once, subject to approval by the location management and up to six weeks before the start of a new semester, as long as the number of booked courses remains the same and there are still spaces left on the selected new course. An administration fee of 150 Euro will be charged. This fee will not increase if several courses are switched at once.

Can I switch between academy sites?

Yes. Since the training courses are the same on all sites, it is possible to continue learning at a different site after completion of one or more individual courses. You may register a switch of sites up to six weeks prior to the start of a new semester. An administration fee of 150 Euro will be charged.

Is it possible to leave the course before its completion?

No, registration is binding for the agreed time frame, in order to ensure optimal plannability for the courses. If you decide to register for the entire duration of a training course, you benefit from special discounts on the course fees. Course agreements can only be cancelled due to important grounds and only via written cancellation. If someone does not wish to enter into a commitment for the entire duration of the training course, there is also the option of only taking individual courses.

Can I interrupt my Diploma course?

Yes, it is possible to interrupt the training course once or to postpone individual courses subject to approval by the site management for a maximum of two semesters. There must be sound reasons for doing so and the request must be filed at least six weeks prior to the start of the course. An administration fee on 150 Euro will be charged. This fee will not increase if several courses are postponed at the same time.

What happens if I miss class?

If you cannot attend class due to professional or personal reasons, you should collect information on the missed content from your lecturer and class mates.

Is it possible to take follow-up course modules if I have not passed the previous module?

Yes, you are basically allowed to attend the follow-up course as long as you attended the previous course, even if no certificate was obtained. A Deutsche POP diploma however will only be awarded if all courses within a training course have been successfully completed and a certificate obtained.

What can be done if I have failed to achieve the course aim?

Anyone who narrowly fails to meet the requirements but has a minimum of 50% overall may take an oral makeup exam in order to fulfil the course requirements and obtain a certificate. This exam has to take place within two weeks of the end of the course. Should the overall result of a course be less than 50%, the course will have to be retaken in order to obtain a certificate.

When are there holidays and for how long?

Usually, here are holidays in winter between Christmas and New Year as well as in summer during the last week of June and the first week of July. No classes take place on official bank holidays.

How many hours is it possible to work during my training?

If you work full time, it is possible to complete a part time course. If two individual courses are being taken in parallel (full time), a part time job with flexible working hours is do-able.

Do I have to give up my copyright or ancillary copyright on work I have done?

No. Participants may even make commercial use of their course projects. However, the materials which were provided (such as scripts, audio files etc.) are copyright protected and may not be made public without our prior consent.

Where is the project work carried out?

The projects are carried out under normal market conditions in a professional production environment (in the Campus Studios, in editing rooms, in photo or radio studios, at presentations before an audience etc.).

Why does training at the United POP improve my chances on the labour market?

Due to its connection to the production company music support group and the knowledge transfer that goes with it, the course participants are ideally prepare for the requirements of the market. Above and beyond the transfer of know-how, independent project working skills are trained which will also be relevant to future working life. The project results serve both as a means of assessment and a first reference.

Where do graduates from the United POP find work?

About one third of graduates actively seeks to newly enter the sector. This group uses the projects generated during the studies and the Deutsche POP diploma to successfully apply for internships and jobs (e.g. in studios, in radio and television, for events companies or agencies). Another third is already working in the sector and is seeking to gain further qualifications. The remaining graduates use their knowledge gained during the courses for semi-professional of hobby projects in addition to existing other employment.

What internship possibilities exist within the United POP network?

During their Diploma, committed course participants can apply at any point for a three to six month training internship within the music support group. In order to apply, it is sufficient to send a convincing PDF application to: praktika[at]musicsupportgroup.com. Partner companies also regularly contact the Academy with requests for interns.

How can I apply for a talent grant?

Outstanding participants with a very good single course result of more than 90% can apply at the individual campus management. Information on the awarding of grants can be downloaded in the POP Lounge.

What is the POP Campus?

It is an online platform exclusively for participants of Deutsche POP & United POP Courses.

Who is my contact person in case of a problem?

For any organisational questions, the on-site Akademie team will be happy to help. When it comes to content-related questions, the participants can ask their lecturers or training supervisors directly.

Is it possible to purchase discounted equipment through the United POP?

Yes, and there are some great deals! Apple software, hardware and other products can be purchased at special education prices through our partners. You can find an overview in our Edu Deals on the Campus.

Do I qualify for special conditions for services provided by the music support group?

Yes, course participants are eligible for preferential prices on all services provided by the music support group.

Where can I get information on projects, offers and jobs?

Participants can find out about jobs and projects from their lecturers, off posters or the website and can apply for them.

What payment conditions exist?

You will save the most money by fully paying all fees up front one month before the start of the course. Courses can also be paid per semester one month before the beginning of the course, on a monthly basis or with financing from Deutsche POP.

What costs should I expect in addition to the course fees?

The enrolment fee is €200. Furthermore there are no regular additional costs: All exams and studio dates within the context of the classes are included in the course fees. Additional fees will only be charged for individual additional services such as retake exams, switches or placement tests.

For some Single Courses we recommend the purchase of common literature (20-80 Euro).

For hygienic reasons, you must use your own basic equipment (approx. 500 Euro) during the Diploma Make-Up Artist. A list of recommended materials is available upon enrolment.

Are there options for financing the course fees?

It is possible to pay in monthly installments. What rates are possible in a given case will depend on the number of individual courses and the desired training duration. The on-site team will be happy to assist you in this question during a personal consultation.

Am I entitled to receive child benefits during my training?

Yes, the education confirmation issued by the United POP is generally accepted as proof of ongoing education.

Am I entitled to receive child benefits during my training?

Yes, the education confirmation issued by the United POP is generally accepted as proof of ongoing education.

Can the training be funded through the employment agency?

Yes, upon examination of each individual case, funding may be available. Further information can be obtained directly from your desk officer at the employment agency in Germany or the labour market service in Austria.

Do participants need to buy an Apple computer?

No, they do not have to. Many participants already have an Apple computer or a PC and if participants make good use of the free practice times, it is even possible to complete the training course without owning a computer. It is however worth purchasing one due to the discounted education prices.

Our website uses cookies to secure form data, to protect your privacy and for technical functionality. All other cookies, which are used to improve the website experience, for marketing and to analyze performance, are voluntary for the user. You can find more information in our privacy policy / imprint.